My New Juliana Pig

Friday, March 2, 2018

     I have been asking my husband for years if I could get a pig. After we discovered the Juliana pig, he finally said yes. So, I started a search for a Juliana pig. There we several people selling Juliana pigs on Craigslist, but they were all sold out. I was about to give up, when a lady called me back because someone had changed their mind and didn't get her last pig. I jumped on the opportunity and told her I'd be there the next morning to pick him up.
    
     We pull up to this nice house out in the country and the lady invites us in. She takes me to the kitchen to show me how to make the pig's milk! Yes, milk! I was assuming the pig would be weaned, and I'd be going to Tractor Supply to get pig food. I hadn't asked how old the pig was and just assumed he'd be 8 weeks like a puppy or baby bunny. Nope. She said he was 3 weeks old! Then I thought, maybe, that's normal. I hadn't researched the age pigs are sold. I go ahead and get him because it's love at first sight for me.
   
     When we get home, I go to pick the pig up to bring him inside, and he starts squealing! I was scared. I was thinking no wonder the last lady didn't get him. He must be a defective pig! I put him down in the house in his little bed and he was fine. I decided to do some more research about the squealing when picked up, and I come to find out that it's completely normal. Thank you Lord!
    
     We have had him for two days now. He still squeals when picked up, but it's getting better. I plan on potty training him to pee outside, so I'm going to keep working on picking him up. Right now, he is using puppy pads to pee on. He does pretty good, but sometimes he'll pee off the pad. I also pan on getting a litter box, because that's easier and cheaper than pads to me.
    
     I bought his milk Manna Pro NurseAll Non-Medicated Milk Replacer, 3.5 lb at Tractor Supply. He was on a schedule of eating 2-4 oz. every 3-4 hours. I am currently started to wean him. He was lid fed, so he drinks his milk out of a butter lid. I bought some Mazuri Mini Pig Youth Food and I've started adding some to his milk. I always put a lid out with the pig pellets on it so he can start getting the taste of the pellets if he chooses. He nibbles and plays around with the pellets. He might have ate a few, but he is not that interested in the pellets. I'm going to keep mixing in milk. Right now, I'm mixing the pellets with milk and making sure it's still runny enough for him to drink. Next week, I'm going to make it thicker, and just keep making it thicker (paste like) until he is fully weaned.
    
     I read that I really have to watch his meals and eating schedule. He already sleeps through the night. I fed him last night at about 10:45pm, and he ate again at 6am. I want to get him to eating 3 times per day, plus snacks and rooting outside. I already got a fenced in area for him to play outside. We are going to build him a house outside as well. Until next time....

Did I mention my pig loves my bunny? 



No comments

Feel free to comment, but if you are here to be nasty, then just leave.